September 30, 2022


It is a truism that Bengalureans speak concerning the visitors the way in which the British speak concerning the climate. STOI takes up the town’s obsession with a take a look at among the firsts of transportation within the metropolis, in addition to the methods some enterprising residents change their automobiles or cope with the Silk Board Junction
First autorickshaw
The primary autorickshaw to serve Bangalore commenced operations in December 1950. Regardless of stiff opposition from the jatka (horse-drawn cart) foyer, N Keshava Iyengar, the Mayor of Bangalore (which for the primary time included each civil and cantonment areas) authorised licenses for a complete of ten autorickshaws.At the moment, jatkas had been the norm, and residents welcomed the brand new autorickshaws with enthusiasm. Designed in Poona, the autorickshaws had been painted inexperienced and yellow and resembled a scooter pulling a passenger cabin connected to its rear.
Iyengar inaugurated the primary auto on the company constructing and he additionally volunteered to drive the car on its maiden journey with the homeowners, a Bangalore man and his Italian spouse. Iyengar’s autobiography information him driving them to his home in Balepet and treating them to refreshments. Inside a number of years, there have been almost 40 autos plying the town’s streets. Autos weren’t allowed to hold greater than two passengers on a experience, a restrict that will keep in pressure for thirty years, until 1980, when it was raised to a few passengers.
The primary autorickshaw in Bangalore was launched in 1950, and the primary individual to take passengers on an auto experience was the town’s mayor
First automotive showroom
Vehicles got here to Bangalore comparatively late. The primary automotive sighting on the town’s roads was reported in 1901, nicely after sightings in Calcutta (1897) and Bombay (1898). An unconfirmed sighting was reported in Chennai in 1894 as nicely. However by 1903, vehicles had been a standard sight within the Backyard Metropolis. Naturally, vehicles had been restricted to the privileged ­ the Royal household had them, as did a number of prosperous households, in addition to some senior bureaucrats. The primary automotive showroom (and workshop) was arrange within the Kannan constructing on South Parade Highway (MG Highway) in 1911, by an Englishman known as HE Ormerod. Ormerod was a mechanical engineer and car fanatic. He turned the only agent for Calthorpe and Empire cars. Ormerod additionally had a number of Ford and Studebaker fashions arrange for show, and crowds would collect to marvel at these new-fangled automobiles. Ormerod was presumably the primary individual to drive from Bangalore to Bombay by way of Poona, a journey he accomplished over the course of 4 days. His showroom supplied vehicles to the Maharaja of Mysore in addition to the Viceroy of India, on the event of his go to to the town.
HE Ormerod’s beauties ­ Ford and Studebaker fashions on show ­ had been assured crowd-pullers in previous Bangalore
First railway line
The primary makes an attempt to place Bangalore on India’s rail map had been made by Sir Mark Cubbon in 1854-55, the Commissioner of Mysore and Coorg. He proposed a railroad scheme connecting Mysore with Madras, by way of Bangalore and Calicut. Cubbon was forestalled by the arrival of the Madras Rail Highway Firm, which arrived within the metropolis to put a Bangalore-Bellary line on land donated by the then Mysore Authorities. Work on Bangalore Cantonment railway station commenced in 1862 and was accomplished inside two years, making it the primary railway station in Bangalore.
On August 1, 1864, the primary prepare, christened the Bangalore Mail, chugged out from Bangalore Cantonment station to Jolarpettai in Tamil Nadu.The meter gauge line, masking a distance of 149 km, was then prolonged to the Bangalore Metropolis railway station after building accomplished in 1882.
1864 additionally noticed the initiation of a survey on the feasibility of connecting Bangalore to Tumkur. One other line between Bangalore and Channapatna commenced operation in 1881. Development of the Bangalore-Mysore line began in 1877, and was accomplished in 1882, at a price of Rs 38.32 lakh.
First bus service
In 1939, there have been 103 buses within the metropolis and 15 buses within the cantonment space. All of those had been operated by personal homeowners, members of the Bangalore Transport Union. Resulting from public demand and intense competitors amongst personal bus homeowners, the Union led by native businessman B.Ok. Garudachar, proposed a unified bus service for Bangalore metropolis. On January 31, 1940, the Mysore Authorities handed an order that created the Bangalore Transport Firm (BTC) with an funding of Rs 5 lakh.It introduced collectively all bus homeowners in metropolis right into a restricted legal responsibility firm, topic to the highway guidelines laid down by the Mysore Site visitors Board. Providers had been operated from the market space (KR Market) to Majestic by way of Basavanagudi, Cantonment, Ulsoor and Malleshwaram from 8 am to eight pm with fares ranging from three paise to 6 paise. Whereas the within seats of the bus had been for the general public, the seat subsequent to the motive force’s cabin was reserved for public representatives of the areas the bus handed by way of.. BTC initially suffered due to petrol scarcities and several other buses ran on charcoal gasoline. In 1956, the BTC Ltd was nationalized. The corporate turned the Bangalore Transport Service (BTS) after 1962 and remained so till it was renamed the Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Company (BMTC) on August 15, 1997.
First aeroplanes
In November 1910, Belgian adventurer Baron Pierre De Caters and Jules Wyck, a pilot arrived in Bombay with their Aviator plane.Town of Bombay refused them permission to conduct an air present, so De Caters and Wyck went to Calcutta. After dazzling the viewers on the Tollygunge Membership, they arrived in Bangalore, the place they had been met by the Maharaja of Mysore. Their present, scheduled for February 2, 1911, acquired unprecedented ranges of publicity.Newspapers, posters and flyers in Kannada and Urdu all made positive that the Belgians would exhibit their abilities to a big and appreciative viewers. The venue was the navy parade grounds (Chinnaswamy stadium), and the occasion was organized by the British military.
The Mysore Star, a Kannada weekly newspaper, in its report described the occasion as a miracle that had taken place in Bangalore. It reported that individuals from so far as Mysore, Mandya and Tumkur had arrived to witness the occasion, travelling a whole lot of miles on bullock carts and railway trains to observe it.
Later in 1937, the Authorities of Mysore organised the primary air companies from Bangalore to Bombay as a joyride in collaboration with the Indian Aviation Growth Firm at an expense of Rs 2 lakh. Compiled by Petlee Peter With inputs from Karnataka State Archives and metropolis historian Vemagal Somashekar



Supply hyperlink