December 8, 2022


BENGALURU: Sunday night time’s downpour triggered lakes in Yelahanka, Allalasandra, Jakkur and Singapura in north Bengaluru to overflow and flood adjoining residential pockets, because of the town’s unplanned development and the resultant impression on its stormwater drain community.
Kendriya Vihar in Yelahanka, which homes households of a whole lot of central authorities staff, was totally flooded, as neighbouring Yelahanka Lake overflowed. The condo complicated had water as much as 4 ft.

1

Rajendran SV, division warden, civil defence, Yelahanka stated, “Kendriya Vihar has been waterlogged for shut to 3 days now. However Sunday night time’s heavy rain led to a stormwater drain and Yelahanka lake overflowing and flooding the condo.”
Whereas a number of two-wheelers might be seen floating round, many vehicles too had been broken. “The constructing has about 603 flats unfold throughout eight blocks. Most people residing listed below are senior residents they usually wanted our assist because the lifts weren’t functioning attributable to energy failure. We had to make use of inflatable boats to rescue them and managed to convey out near 200 individuals from the condo,” Rajendran added.

1

Rajendran and his staff of round 30 members had been at Kendriya Vihar since 8pm on Sunday. “Contemplating the constructing was waterlogged for almost three days, residents hadn’t been capable of step out. We managed to distribute meals packets and requested them to not panic,” he stated.

2

Nationwide Catastrophe Response Pressure and fireplace brigade personnel had been additionally a part of the rescue operation. BBMP chief commissioner Gaurav Gupta, who visited Yelahanka on Monday, stated, “Our response staff and all different reduction squads had been on their toes attending to all types of complaints. We’ve got assured these residing at Kendriya Vihar that there’s nothing to fret about and we are going to guarantee they get provides…”
Jakkur Lake overflowed and flooded JNCASR (Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Superior Scientific Analysis) campus closeby. Sanjeev Dyamannavar, a resident of Jakkur, stated: “The lakes upstream of Jakkur Lake are Puttenahalli and Yelahanka. As soon as these are crammed, water circulation into Jakkur Lake will increase. These three lakes are fed by water from STPs, which implies that they’re 70-80% full many of the instances.” When there may be rain, the remaining 20% will get crammed up, flooding adjoining areas.

1

Water, nevertheless, solely entered basements in Jakkur and never the homes. “This space largely has flats. The basements had been flooded inflicting injury to autos, however water didn’t enter the homes,” Sanjeev added.
Singapura Lake close to Jalahalli too overflowed because of the downpour. H Mohan, a resident of Singapura, stated, “Water had been slowly flowing out of Singapura Lake, which is unfold over 66 acres. After Sunday’s showers, it overflowed massively.”

1

As much as two ft of water was seen on Singapura roads. Although not homes, some basements obtained flooded and the water needed to be pumped out. Kids from the neighbourhood had been seen catching fish from the runoff water.

1

Such was the outflow of water from the lake that even the adjoining Simhadri Structure obtained flooded, pealing off street asphalt. “The stormwater drain that carries water from Singapura to the lake downstream was blocked and triggered the water to overflow on to the street. The lake was full following heavy showers,” Mohan added.



Supply hyperlink