The whole lot to learn about India’s wrestlers for Tokyo 2020.  |  Photo Credit score: IANS
- Bajrang Punia and Vinesh Phogat will lead the cost for India’s wrestling contingent in Tokyo 2020
- From India, as many as 7 wrestlers have certified for the Tokyo Video games
- India’s wrestling group is filled with promise with Deepak Punina, Seema Bisla, Sonam Malik and the likes
The countdown to the Tokyo Olympics has begun. The massive-ticket occasion was scheduled to held final 12 months however the Covid-19 pandemic led to a postponement, pushing athletes into uncertainty and testing their type and health for yet one more 12 months.
With the Olympics set to start from month-end, the preparations are in full swing — preserving Covid-19 pandemic in thoughts — whereas all of the taking part nation’s complete contingent are on their toes with a view to deliver their A-game and add to their respective nation’s medal tally. Speaking about Group India’s contingent, there are a number of promising names who’re touted to deliver glory to the nation.
The hopes are undoubtedly excessive from the Indian contingent, comprising the badminton, archery, tennis, boxing, wrestling groups, and many others. Here is a have a look at all the 7-member wrestling unit that shall be beneath the highlight for Group India within the forthcoming Olympics:
1) Bajrang Punia: One of the crucial skilled wrestlers, Bajrang will characterize India within the males’s freestyle 65kg class. Bajrang has gained three medals for India on the World Wrestling Championships and this shall be his finest likelihood to deliver house an Olympic medal. The Arjuna awardee will spearhead India’s wrestling contingent.
2) Vinesh Phogat: Vinesh was the primary Indian wrestler to ebook her place in Tokyo 2020 after holding off world primary Sarah Ann Hildebrandt (successful 8-2). The primary Indian lady wrestler to bag a gold medal in each Commonwealth and Asian Video games, Vinesh will compete within the girls’s freestyle 53kg class.
3) Anshu Phogat: Anshu Malik, on April 2021, turned the fifth Indian wrestler (second lady) to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics following her qualification for the finale of the Asian Wrestling Qualifiers. Anshu has already been nominated for the Arjuna award early this week. The teenage sensation comes from a household of wrestlers, like Vinesh, and shall be seen competing within the 57kg weight division.
4) Sonam Malik: One other 19-year-old sensation, Sonam can have nothing to lose and the whole lot to achieve as one of many medal prospects for Group India in wrestling. Coming from a small village Madina, Sonam will compete within the 62kg class. Her zest for extra and nonchalance whereas going through some massive names on the mat certainly makes her a frightening pressure within the big-ticket occasion.
5) Deepak Punia: Deepak will compete within the 85kg freestyle class at Tokyo Video games. The Wrestling Federation of India has additionally nominated Deepak, the World Championship medal-winner, for the Arjuna award. A few of his main achievements embrace a bronze in 2020 New Delhi Asian Championship, silver within the 2019 Nur-Sultan World Championship, gold in 2018 Asian Junior Championship and 2016 Tbilisi World Cadet Championship — all within the 86kg class.
6) Ravi Kumar Dahiya: The 23-year-old Ravi began wrestling at 10. He booked a spot for the Olympics on the 2019 World Wrestling Championships in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan. A few of his achievements on the junior degree embrace silver on the 2015 World Wrestling C’ship and on the 2018 U-23 World Championships, respectively. He’ll compete within the 57kg class.
7) Seema Bisla: Seema was the fourth Indian lady wrestler, eighth general, to qualify for the Tokyo Video games, early this 12 months after reserving a spot within the remaining of the 50kg World Olympic Qualifier in Bulgaria in Might. One of the crucial skilled campaigners, Seema — a bronze medalist on the Asian Wrestling Championships — shall be keen to offer her all for the last word glory on the Tokyo Video games.